about bliss

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

daily bliss: dried cherries


a gorgeous summer day at sleeping bear dunes national lakeshore, empire, michigan, august 2008


As an avowed locavore, I find winter eating challenging in these parts. I don't yet have a freestanding freezer, so I don't have a cache of summer fruits and veggies at my disposal. I have a dwindling supply of homemade strawberry jam, and a bag of peach slices I stuck in my freezer for a winter's day when I really needed a boost of sunshine. I eat florida and california citrus this time of year, because they're seasonal and domestic, if not local. I've tried to cut back on non-domestic fruits like bananas and pineapples after reading about the environmental impacts and true costs of such fruits.

So, what's a hungry, carbo-crazed SADed locavore to do? Dried fruits! Wisconsin cranberries and Michigan cherries are my treats this time of year--instant fuel, delicious taste, and true to my locavore ways! My Mom and I buy 4 pound boxes of Traverse City, Michigan dried cherries and split them up, and some times I splurge on a bag of dark chocolate covered cherries from The Cherry Republic. Now I'm really wishing I had a bag now, reminding me of summer adventures in Northern Michigan with family and friends...blue skies and warm breezes, walks along a non-frozen Lake Michigan, and shopping trips in Glen Arbor...soon, soon, those days will return.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd do just about ANYTHING for some dark chocolate covered cherries right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Oh yeah. Choc covered cherries are delicious. Have you tried choc covered blueberries. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with dried cherries, even if they aren't local to Georgia. We are lucky to have regional produce most of the year, although I must say I've been eating rather more winter greens (and loving them) rather less fruit.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too, cathy! i've resorted to pooping a plain dark cherry and a chocolate chip in my mouth at the same time...not a bad compromise.

    wendy, i haven't yet tried chocolate covered blueberries...just think of the antioxidant power:)

    when i lived in georgia i belonged to a winter csa and enjoyed the most delicious greens...thanks for bringing back that memory, nancy:

    ReplyDelete