about bliss

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

welcome to my table!

Today, an unseasonably warm day, I walk around my college town and think of fall and food and the end of summer pleasures and settling into those autumnal delights...bi-color sweet corn on the cob and ripe, heirloom tomatoes (which I've only just taught myself to love) are replaced by cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and the various hard-shelled winter squashes. It's a bittersweet moment when the leaves give one last burst of color before tumbling to the ground, and when my produce drawer transitions to heartier fare.

I've started this blog to share my musings with far-flung friends, and to rededicate myself to writing by taking advantage of a public forum. I write personal, fictional, and scholarly pieces and now I want to try my hand at creative foodie nonfiction to commit my pursuit of "a delicious life" into narrative form.

My days are shaped by a sense of the narrative potential of life, and also largely determined by food and the pleasures of the table. I feel comfortable and inspired in my cramped kitchen, equipped with standard rental housing quality appliances and my hodge-podge of kitchenware, including a few treasured kitchen tools: a Wüstof Classic Chef's Knife, pink Kitchen Aid stand mixer, two small All-Clad pots, a small collection of crystal stemware. Creating a delicious meal for myself, and, even moreso, for others, brings no small amount of joy to my life. Food sustains us in innumerable ways, and I want to recover the good in all that food culture has to offer. This is where we begin to craft a delicious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment