I could've spent all day reflecting on the past year, but, alas, party preparation and household chores seriously cut into my thoughtful time. At times like these, memes are handy ways of looking back before moving forward.According to my friend B (check out her list here), this meme ojriginated with Linda at All & Sundry.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? presented at the Romance Writers of America Conference; traveled to Washington, D.C.; attended a county fair; drank a liter of wine; fell in love for real.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? last year's goals, straight from this blog: "This year I vow to carve out more time for myself, separate from my career. Time to read just for the fun of it. Time to linger over coffee with friends. Time for a quick visit with family on the weekends. Time to date and find Mr. Almost-Wonderful (as my dear Dissertation advisor calls him). Time for an hour of vinyasa yoga, a long walk along the lakeshore with my new digital camera (yay!), and time to pursue my non-academic writing goals." Yes, I achieved these goals:) And, yes, I'm working on new goals for the new year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? several work colleagues/friends
4. Did anyone close to you die? my best friend s's dear pooch; a former student; my great aunt
5. What countries did you visit? none:(
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? equanimity. grace. peace of mind.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? may 29. the day i met G:)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? presenting research at both the Popular Culture Association Conference and the Romance Writers of America convention. writing 100 haiku in 100 consecutive days. building a successful adult romantic relationship.
9. What was your biggest failure? allowing work stress to take over my life
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? terrible gastro-intestinal bug that struck when i was in lake geneva for the yoga journal conference, which was my 35th bday gift to myself, and which i totally missed.
11. What was the best thing you bought? so many amazing foods—wisconsin's finest local goodies. itouch. detroit lions tickets for G, my brother, my dad, and i.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? my friends and family, who live genuine, real lives, and who share themselves with me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? to echo B, many politicians. hatemongers.
14. Where did most of your money go? food. gas. bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? meeting a certain blogger in real life, and hanging out with him for the rest of the year. my upcoming paris trip. being on a panel with jenny crusie.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? journey's "don't stop believin'"
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? happier, fatter, and every-so-slightly richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? spent more time with friends and family. lived in the moment. yoga. walking/jogging/strength training. writing. reading.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? worry.
20. How did you spend Christmas? in michigan, with my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009? yes, she writes giddily.
22. What was your favorite TV program? chuck. jane austen extravaganza on pbs. gilmore girls re-runs. glee.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? no.
24. What was the best book you read? tolstoy lied by rachel kadish.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? stephen kellogg and the sixers. andrew bird. iron and wine. (thanks to G and his buddy C! for some of these:)
26. What did you want and get? love.
27. What did you want and not get? peace of mind.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Julie and Julia, and Food inc.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 35! a few friends came over for snacks, sparkling wine, and cake on my actual bday. my parents and brother drove here for one night and we ate at il ritrovo.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? having all my family and friends nearby.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? wedging my expanding "voluptuousness" into my existing wardrobe, creating scary muffintop action that i counterbalanced with a vintage triple strand of costume pearls.
32. What kept you sane? my dear friends and family. chocolate. laughter.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? a certain presidential someone.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? food politics, by far. we *must* fix our broken system.
35. Who did you miss? my far flung family and friends.
36. Who was the best new person you met? the cute blogger dude: G, my boyfriend:)
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. much of what i worry about is simply not worth the energy. that balance is tricky and an ongoing process of adjustment...
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "i'm in the moment/The one where nothing matters/And everything's alright"