about bliss

Monday, January 02, 2006

war damn eagle

In keeping with my Southern heritage, yesterday I fixed simple, country fare for dinner: beans, greens, and cornbread. Yumm! Of course, I dressed up the dishes a bit: cannellini beans with roasted garlic and fresh sage; sauteed fresh spinach with caramelized shallots, lemon zest and juice, Maldon sea salt. I also drank a California white table wine, and ate a slice of the famous chocolate cake. A lovely way to greet the new year with nourishing, hearty fare.

Today while I watched my Auburn Tigers lose to Wisconsin--unfortunately, the only Auburn game I had a chance to watch this season--I indulged in pimento cheese and crackers and a sweet tea the size of my head from the McAllister’s just around the corner from my house.

And the culinary high point of this year thus far: sweet potato gnocchi in brown butter sage sauce, which I made tonight. Ahhhh...how perfectly tasty. I’ve had a few dishes in restaurants along similary lines, but often the butter sauce is simply too much. But the beauty of cooking at home is that I could make my butter sauce just the lightest of coatings. I made sauteed spinach again, as well as a salad of boston lettuce, navel orange, with a lemon-honey-poppyseed vinaigrette. Delish.

Tomorrow I’m making black beans--they’re soaking right now. And I’m choosing a bread recipe to perfect over the next several weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment