about bliss

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

twd: sweet potato biscuits

Martha's Cream Biscuits. Bittman's Yogurt Biscuits. Dorie's Sweet Potato Biscuits. All delicious, all favorites that I've made and enjoyed with simple soups and roasted veggie meals. 

And yet...

Nothing quite has the emotional pull of Mom's biscuits, often served with sausage gravy...or accompanying my standard birthday meal of fried chicken, succotash, mashed potatoes and gravy. Mmm. Even now, this vegetarian hungers for those tastes of home, of Southern heritage kept alive in the Midwest where I was born and raised. 

Sigh. Now, my standard birthday celebration meal is a Neopolitan pizza at Il Ritrovo, shared with my family when possible. A little more foodie, a little less socio-cultural-emotional-familial. Something in me longs for those earlier meals...

But this post is supposed to be about Dorie's sweet potato biscuits, selected by the awesome blogger Erin, of Prudence Pennywise. I made half a batch after work yesterday. I baked two medium sized sweet potatoes, mashed their vibrant interiors, and stuck them in the fridge to cool a bit while I worked the rest of the dough. A pinch of cinnamon and a sweep of nutmeg over the grater added a hint of autumn warmth to the biscuits. 

These were a lovely treat alongside roasted veggies and sauteed chickpeas and spinach. I love their orangeness, and the hint of sweetness. I imagine they would be tasty with a thick slice of aged cheddar tucked inside. Or drizzled with a little vegetarian white gravy laced with cracked black pepper, a modern update on former comfort foods...

6 comments:

  1. Glad these worked out for you. They have a lot of potential

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your biscuits look wonderful! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I struggled a bit with the recipe but I love the idea so I'll definitely try them again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:19 AM

    I'm glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collection is really very sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good looking biscuits,Im glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours look like they turned out beautifully, well done. :) And what a lovely post. It's absolutely true, Mom's food can conjure up a nostalgia and comfort like nothing else. My mom always made velveeta mac and cheese, and there is no other recipe that can satisfy me even today. Cheers for Mom food!

    ReplyDelete