about bliss

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

new recipe challenge: carrot and chickpea salad


Tender carrots, crisp chickpeas, nutty sauce: what's not to love? This salad, from my favorite food blog Smitten Kitchen, would brighten up a cold winter day. It's also a fitting counterpoint to delicate Spring asparagus (which we're eating every day, every which way). Last night, I made a simple pasta with frozen snap peas, fresh roasted asparagus, and a Greek yogurt-lemon-Parmesan sauce. This salad added a hearty dose of protein and color to the meal. I omitted the pistachios and parsley from the original carrot salad recipe, working with ingredients I had on hand. Neither Gregg or I could decide whether we liked the pasta or salad better, a positive sign that both dishes are keepers. The lemon in both dishes helps create a cohesive meal, and the bright citrus tang cuts through the creaminess of both sauces.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:01 PM

    I'm so glad you're blogging again! I'm a native Minnesotan and my husband's family roots are in Wisconsin. (We now live in Idaho.) Love the unique combination of themes on your blog--cooking, teaching, haiku-writing, life in the Midwest...

    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Tam! I've been away from blogging for too long. I'm hoping to share many more eclectic posts over the months to come. Thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete