about bliss

Friday, May 15, 2009

daily bliss: vanilla hot chocolate




Another hot chocolate post? Seriously? Isn't it spring? Season of lighter, cooler nightcaps?

So it would seem.

And yet today felt cold most of the day. Grey and dreary, damp and chilly. This could be mysteriously linked to my foolhardy plan to turn OFF the heat this morning.

Now, it's back on, and I have a mug of hot chocolate, the LAST of the season. No matter how cold it may be after this. I promise.

I decided to make the farewell mug of cool-weather elixir extra special.

Vanilla Hot Chocolate
1 serving

1 TBS cocoa powder (tonight I chose the top shelf Valrhona for it's mahogany hue and complex flavor)
2 tsp sugar
6-8 oz. skim milk
1 TBS vanilla vodka (I made my own a few months ago by sticking a vanilla bean in 1/3 bottle of Smirnoff 100 proof.)
1 TBS whipped cream
chocolate shavings

Combine cocoa powder and sugar in a small saucepan. Add a little milk to make a paste; stir in the rest of the milk. Cook over medium heat until steaming and desired temperature. Meanwhile, add vodka to a mug. Add hot chocolate mixture and stir. Add dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Send chilly days and cool nights off with style. Think of warm weather ways to use vanilla vodka, which is really tasty and rather potent.

No comments:

Post a Comment