Monday, May 18, 2009
daily bliss: new books
Two weeks ago I went on an online book buying binge, anticipating this week when classes would be over, afternoons would linger, and I could relax into another world.
These books are a mix of business and pleasure (why does this suddenly remind me of mullets? perhaps because my friends and I have been talking about them all week. don't ask.):
* Two Jenny Crusie novels, Faking It and Manhunting, that I've already read, to re-read for my RWA presentation in July and article for the Crusie essay collection.
* Bram Stoker's Dracula, to establish my vampire mythology for the vampire romance class I'm teaching next fall.
* Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches Guide to Romance Novels by Sarah Wendell and Candy Tan, to add to my romance scholarship collection and to hold my own in online conversations with other romance scholars.
* Rachel Kadish's novel Tolstoy Lied, which features a 33 year old American Literature Professor as the protagonist.
* The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, all ice cream recipes for Summer of Creativity/Summer of Fun projects.
I also checked out another stack of books from the school library...and will hit the public library in the next day or so. I may review some of the books here...I'm debating whether that would be too much of a departure from my usual blog entries...stay tuned.