about bliss

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

twd: burnt sugar ice cream

[photo to be added tomorrow]

Caramel.

Custard.

The two dreaded C's.

The last time I attempted caramel, cussing ensued.

Custard, well, I've seemingly mastered the tempering technique and can produce a smooth product.

This week's recipe tested my resolve by requiring both dreaded C's.

My first attempt with the caramel today was problematic. Lacking vanilla extract, I blended vanilla bean with my sugar, then added the water, and applied heat. A too big pan and too high heat resulted in a sugar that failed to dissolve and instead returned to a granular state. Mustering up my chemistry memory (I did start college as a pre-pharmacy major and took a year of Chemistry before seeing the light and leaving a life of jet-setting and drug company perks for the glamorous life of an English professor on furlough), I added more water and dissolved the sugar, this time slowly and carefully.

Conquering my fears and applying sugar savvy, I crafted an ice cream so delicious, it's dangerous. I subbed 1% milk for whole and half and half for cream. Mmmm.

Thank you, Becky, of Project Domestication, for selecting this wonderful, rich, and complexly flavored ice cream.


3 comments:

  1. wow... healthier subs.. that's great! did you notice a 'light' taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to sub. I used 2% and it worked just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on conquering the caramelizing conundrum! Caramel ice cream is indeed dangerous but oh, so worth it. I'm pretty sure I went with higher fat than specified.

    ReplyDelete