about bliss

Thursday, October 24, 2013

taking up the habit

My husband Gregg blogged about habits a few days ago, and included research that suggests that it takes 21 days to form habits. Every semester, I vow to maintain my daily exercise, daily writing, and daily reading. Usually, at a certain time around midterm (now!), I realize how fall I've fallen short.

While my walks have shortened with the shifting daylight hours, my writing has moved from my journal to my blogs, and my reading doesn't always include non-work texts, I have developed a yoga habit.

Better yet, it's a morning ritual.

This Summer, I downloaded the yoga studio app, and have been enjoying it ever since. The 30 studio classes vary in time and intensity, the app syncs with my calendar so I can track my classes, and I even earn rewards by completing classes! (the best reward was a $50 gift to Naked Wines, an innovative "customer supported company" funding and promoting small winemakers). My only quibble with the app is the lack of a "namaste" at the end of each class, but I simply add my own.

In September, I would take my mat and block and iPad outside and practice on the deck. Now that it's freezing at night, I've unfurled my mat in our guest room, and after waking up and drinking water, I queue up a class and begin. I generally practice 15 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and 30 minutes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I love stretching awake to start the day before breakfast. Centered, calm, limber, and alert, I move to the kitchen and begin the next morning ritual: preparing oatmeal and cafe au lait (another post for another day!).

No comments:

Post a Comment