about bliss

Saturday, June 09, 2007

of tarts and liquor

Today's my favorite kind of Saturday--slow, sleepy, and filled with sensual delights of food! The farmer's market was bustling with beautiful greens and herbs and berries today. I bought baby swiss chard, spinach, spring onions, lemon thyme, tarragon, asparagus, and more strawberries (My Mom brought me some berries from my fave berry farm yesterday).

I'm making a new strawberry tart...it's from my favorite baking book *Baking: From My Home to Yours* by Dorie Greenspan. It's based on a tart from La Palette, a Parisian Cafe. The tart is utterly simple and looks delicious--will let you know tomorrow! The crust is a sweet, shortbread-esque pate sucre. You bake the crust, and when ready to serve, spread with the best strawberry jam (I made a quick jam for this purpose), topped with halved and lightly sugared strawberries, touch with freshly ground black pepper (!) and creme fraiche.

Today I also completed the next step of my homemade limoncello...I added the sugar syrup, strained out the zest, and stuck it in the freezer for a month. I can't wait to check it out in the beginning of July.

My friend N. called this morning to swap strawberry recipes--which are amazingly in season both in Oregon where she lives and here in Michigan. And then my friend L. called, who I haven't talked to since before Christmas. What a lovely time to catch up and feel connected with my college friends.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say that you really made my day, it's wonderful when you just look around the web
    and find something like this, reminds me of that ''How to make a dinner for a romantic...'' by Elsa Thomas,
    you're a wonderful writer let me tell you!!! ñ_ñ

    James Maverick (maverickhunterjames@gmail.com)
    3453 Rardin Drive
    San Mateo, CA 94403
    Project Manager
    650-627-8033

    ReplyDelete