about bliss

Friday, June 08, 2007

waitress

It's humid here in Michigan and my old window AC unit circa 1970 just can't keep up. Yesterday I escaped to the movies and saw *Waitress.* I could quibble with some of the characters' cliched tendencies, but I loved the film. The pies are magnificent--and I loved how they became a character and a presence all of their own. The glistening chocolate, the bursting-ripe fruit...delicious. And I loved the idea that food showcases creativity, provides comfort, and functions as a barometer for others' characters...how someone reacts to a gift of home cooked dessert says something about their personality, values, passions...

As for me, I love that quiet that can descend when blissfully lost in something delicious...the unself-conscious smiles of pleasure speak more than words:)

No comments:

Post a Comment