about bliss

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

daily bliss: autumnal equinox

pie pumpkins at the madison farmers' market. photo by ggg

The alarm buzzes. NPR's "Morning Edition" flows through my bedside radio. I roll over and groan. Six a.m. is not going to happen this morning. I stay in bed, willing myself to roll over one more time and land, gracefully, on my feet, on the floor, and start the day. 

Welcome to the Autumnal Equinox, a day I spent wishing I was wrapped in a blanket on my couch, drinking steaming beverages, watching incense undulate, and listening to the interplay of raindrops and foghorns. 

Alas. I had to spend six hours at work, explaining Aristotelian rhetoric, sitting through (boring) meetings, and grading student blogs. 

But when I came home from work, I slipped Simon and Garfunkle's Greatest Hits in the CD player and worked through 30 minutes of thoughtful yoga. Then, I turned on the Gilmore Girls and drank cafe au lait. I shopped online. I prepared for class tomorrow. I ignored the stack of final drafts needing to be graded. I diced veggies for black bean soup and mixed up corn bread. 

In short, I gave myself the afternoon to settle into the increasing interiority of the new season.

And, I felt peace. 

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful mixture of work and play yesterday. Thank you for sharing. One of my favorite things about Autumn is soup... warms the heart and soul! Happy Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post - I too wanted to spend the day acknowledging the new season as a slower pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice! Sounds like you wrapped up a hard day with a well deserved and relaxing evening!

    ReplyDelete