about bliss

Monday, April 27, 2009

impromptu ravioli



Yesterday's cool, drizzly, foggy weather put me in mind of soups and heartier fare, and I decided it was time to finally use the last butternut squash sitting on my kitchen counter. I dug through the mysterious packets in my tiny freezer space and found a disk of pasta dough, and set about making my favorite ravioli. However, upon slicing into the squash, I realized it was tinged with mold around the stem area, and the neck was spongy. My mind, however, was already on ravioli, so I considered the ingredients at hand and decided to experiment.

Here's my ravioli filling:
caramelized Vidalia onions (the first of the season!)
roasted garlic
sauteed Swiss chard
pan-toasted walnuts
dried cherries
Wisconsin Parmesan
salt and pepper
a white wine deglaze



And the finished ravioli:
served over wilted spinach, with walnuts, parm, and walnut oil

They were delicious, but missing a little something--I'm not sure what. I do, however, love the combination of flavors in the filling and will definitely experiment again.

4 comments:

  1. Goodness, what could possibly be missing? It sounds absolutely perfect. I know I'd be likely to choose it over the butternut squash! Great job!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe some fresh sage? or rosemary?

    Anyway, it sounds delicious. I love the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! i'm overall pleased with the flavor profile. i'll try some fresh herbs next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. vincent11:30 AM

    Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM! YUM!.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete