about bliss

Sunday, January 18, 2009

daily bliss: shared meals

As much as I love to bake and cook, I delight in sharing my creations with others. Taking time to break bread or sip tea with others strengthens social bonds and can provide a much needed lift. My class has been enjoying hot beverages every morning, as I tote in a bag filled with coffee and tea supplies, including my old coffee maker and an hot electric kettle. On occasion, one of the students will bring in treats.

This weekend I've been fortunate enough to share a delicious pesto dinner with some friends who invited me over rather impromptu. The shared conversation seemed to infuse the simple dish with another layer of flavor. And, yesterday, my friend H. and I went to lunch after yoga class, and reflected on our goals for the year and how we want to achieve them. I've had quite a few of these conversations lately, made stronger by food. My friend B. and I also enjoyed lunch out together a week ago, and planned how we would execute better life balance.

Because so many of my meals are solitary affairs, I treasure those shared meals all the more. And while there's something to be said about the freedom of eating solo--an ultimate flexibility of time, of taste, of tradition--it's something I do too often, and something I will try to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment