about bliss

Thursday, February 12, 2009

daily bliss: anne of green gables


lake of shining waters, prince edward island


When I was in middle school, I discovered the Anne of Green Gables movies on PBS, then the novels by L.M. Montgomery and a new world of possibility and imagination unfurled. From time to time, when I'm feeling a little blue, or when the world seems just too full of ugliness and bickering and hate (or when I've read too many vampire romances), I select one of my worn paperback Anne books down from their special shelf and start re-reading. Instantly, I'm transported to a world of intuition, of anthropomorphic flowers and trees, of simpler times and deeper connections. I suppose it's also a way to connect with that younger self, so bookish and so awkward, and to reach out to those lingering parts of myself with a hug of compassion and hope for the future.

Re-reading the Anne books is a homecoming.

In June 2004, I finally journeyed to Prince Edward Island, the setting for the stories and home of their esteemed author. I presented at an academic conference, and then spent the rest of my time roaming the island with my two best friends S and H. We walked on the seashore, dined on tea and scones, foraged for lilacs, chatted and laughed late into the night to a soundtrack of Norah Jones.


S, H, and I, on the ferry from Nova Scotia to Prince Edward Island

1 comment:

  1. I loved the PBS series Anne of Green Gables. I have it on video and I enjoy it each time I watch it as much as I did the first time. I would love to get to PEI someday!

    ReplyDelete