about bliss

Saturday, February 14, 2009

daily bliss: hearts

When I was halfway finished writing, nay, agonizing over my dissertation, I splurged on the Elsa Peretti open heart necklace from Tiffany's to mark this symbolic accomplishment. And, to remind me of the transformative power of love. When I graduated with my Doctorate, my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins gave me the matching earrings. For these five+ years, they have been my signature look.
There are good hearts and bad hearts, tasteful hearts and tacky hearts, full hearts and broken hearts.

But best of all is an open heart.

Today I made chocolate heart cookies bejeweled with hot pink sanding sugar. I used Deb of smitten kitchen's cookie recipe, mixed up a very simple "glaze" of water and powdered sugar, and sprinkled the cookies judiciously with the sugar.

Yesterday, I received crinkle edged heart sugar cookies decked out in large crystal red sugar from my Mom.
One of my favorite quotes about love from Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh:
"It is essential that we learn to love in a way that preserves our beloved's freedom and allows us both to maintain our individuality."

1 comment:

  1. Love your combination of pink + chocolate (and your mom's classic red and white sounds perfect as well). An open heart is a gift...