about bliss

Saturday, February 14, 2009

daily bliss: hearts




When I was halfway finished writing, nay, agonizing over my dissertation, I splurged on the Elsa Peretti open heart necklace from Tiffany's to mark this symbolic accomplishment. And, to remind me of the transformative power of love. When I graduated with my Doctorate, my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins gave me the matching earrings. For these five+ years, they have been my signature look.
*
There are good hearts and bad hearts, tasteful hearts and tacky hearts, full hearts and broken hearts.

But best of all is an open heart.

*
Today I made chocolate heart cookies bejeweled with hot pink sanding sugar. I used Deb of smitten kitchen's cookie recipe, mixed up a very simple "glaze" of water and powdered sugar, and sprinkled the cookies judiciously with the sugar.


*
Yesterday, I received crinkle edged heart sugar cookies decked out in large crystal red sugar from my Mom.
*
One of my favorite quotes about love from Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh:
"It is essential that we learn to love in a way that preserves our beloved's freedom and allows us both to maintain our individuality."

1 comment:

  1. Love your combination of pink + chocolate (and your mom's classic red and white sounds perfect as well). An open heart is a gift...
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete