about bliss

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

twd: world peace cookies

Thrilled. Giddy. Hands-clapping-Toes-tapping excited.

That was me upon seeing World Peace Cookies on the list for TWD. Thanks to Jessica of Cookbookhabit for selecting these little bites of bliss. When I first read Dorie's cookbook over a year ago, I was intrigued by the history of these cookies--the lineage from Dorie to Pierre--and the nickname (the cookies were originally called Korova cookies in Dorie's book Paris Sweets) made me yearn for a taste.

I raided my cupboards and fridge for the finest ingredients since the cookies are so simple: Valrhona cocoa powder and chopped chocolate for a French connection; Organic Valley Pasture Butter for a taste of the Dairyland state; and crushed Maldon salt for a bit of Great Britain. Wordly cookies, indeed.


French chocolate, in honor of Dorie and Pierre

I mixed up the dough on Saturday afternoon as I prepared a talk on local foods (the irony is not lost on me), and then baked them Sunday afternoon between my successful talk and a long walk along the lake and through the puddles of melted snow. Once again, the smell of warm chocolate wafted through the house and brought a smile to my face.


one sweet world peace cookie

I waited, patiently, for the cookies to cool. And then sampled one.

And one more.

And another.

My only quibble with World Peace Cookies is how utterly addictive they are. The hint of salt elevates the chocolate and provides a delightful counterpoint. Subtle, but noticeable. Very seductive.

I had another narrative composed in my head, and all day I was looking forward to writing my entry about these sweet, sultry cookies with mythical powers. And somewhere between the guest radio spot, the aching neck muscles, the attempts to describe wikis and blogs to college freshmen, and reading the heartbreaking story "Only Goodness" by Jhumpa Lahiri, my ideal post slipped away...

...but the delightful cookies remain, and the blissful sense of well-being as I pop another one in my mouth, testing its pairing with pinot noir (very good).


i would never eat this many cookies at once...

16 comments:

  1. You wouldn't eat that many cookies at once?? You are a better woman than me! Glad you made them, they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was taking my photos, I must have eaten at least six or eight. They're the crack of the cookie world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:20 AM

    Your cookies look so good and chocolatey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I love chocolate and wine! People look at me like I'm crazy! Seriously, these cookies are really addicting! Your cookies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the melted chocolate chunk in that cookie picture! Don't you just hate it when that perfect description disappears? But it sounds like you are up to all kinds of fun and rewarding things, and you have wonderful cookies to come home to! I just have to make these again soon.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! My ideal post slips away from me every week! I love the one that you ended up with, anyway! I complete echo your sentiments about these cookies -- they are amazing. I believe that they DO have mythical powers. I certainly do not have the power to not eat too many! Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are addictive...good to know they work well with Pinot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too could have eaten allllll of them, but I locked them away and gave my son the key. Whoa! big mistake.

    they were good, weren't they???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:02 PM

    Your WP cookies look wonderful! I too love the irony of baking with French chocolate while preparing a talk of local food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you mean I shouldn't have eaten that many of these cookies?? Oops! But yours look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks beautiful!! Love the top notch ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:07 AM

    i ate the whole (although small) batch that i made. i hate it when the perfect thought slips away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for stopping by, everyone! i'm running behind this week, so if i haven't visited your blog already i will soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely!

    It's not as though you CAN get local chocolate or salt here in Wisconsin. And I'm not about to give up either of them!

    One of the things I like about the local food movement is that it has made me appreciate both local and imported foods more -- just in a different way. I think our modern "supermarket" world tends to blur the differences. Anyway, good work!

    ReplyDelete