about bliss

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

daily bliss: birthday blessings


with the sign my hipster friends made for me at work--"it is your birthday"--from the episode of the office in which dwight and jim take over the party planning.

Today I turned 35.

I've been agonizing over this seemingly significant number for the past month.

One of my students today said "tick tock" when she found out how old I am.

But, after a splendid weekend with my family and a fabulous day with friends, I'm no longer worried about numbers or clocks.

Instead, I'm grateful for all of the love and support in my life that's so easy to take for granted.

I thank my parents for all of their gifts--how much of my life I owe to them is immeasurable.

I thank my brother for keeping me grounded, and always trying to teach my to take life a little easier than is my nature.

To my Grandma C. for always singing happy birthday every year, no matter how far away I am.

For my Aunt B. and my cousins N, F, A, and S for sending me packages of girly delights and always being up for American Girl movies or trips out in Lake Michigan in inflatable boats whenever I'm in Michigan.

To my bestest friends S and H, whose voices on my answering machine and warm emails are a constant source of energy. The fact that we've been friends for half of our lives steadies me.

To my new blogger friends--your kind comments about our shared interests of food and fellowship make this whole enterprise of writing online worthwhile.

To all of my facebook friends and students who left posts on my wall and shouted greetings in the hallway, your spirit and kindness makes me remember why I do what I do.

To my coworkers/colleagues/friends and neighbors--thank you for helping me make Wisconsin home. Your willingness to be silly with me, to listen to me vent frustration, to dance to 70s music in the hallways, and to create a light and learned atmosphere makes every day a joy.

How can I possibly feel sad or stressed about the uncertain future and my untrodden path when this very moment is filled with so many blessings?

Thank you for the reminder today. I'll try to remember everyday. Thank you for reading:)


wearing the pink birthday apron my mom made for me, whilst drinking pink prosecco

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:00 PM

    Jessica--Happy, happy birthday!!Can I just say that I'm so incredibly glad we met? You're an awesome blog buddy, and I'm so glad we've kept in touch (even though I haven't written you back--I know, I'm terrible!).

    From everything I gather on your daily posts, you have an amazing life, and I can see why you're so grateful. Love you daily bliss posts. Looking forward to reading more.

    Have a great 35th. Don't be scared of growing older--you're young at heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the apron your mom made - it's so cute! Kitchen accessories are always welcome gifts for me :) Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very nice blog. I love your profile page also. You really seem like a lover of life. ..and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Happy Birthday to you! Love your big sign! I hope you had a wonderful birthday and great upcoming year. 35 is a good year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww...this post makes me so, SO, happy!! We all love you!

    (and if you need someone to knock some sense into that student, well, I'd be happy to do so!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, loved reading about your special day! (Happy belated Birthday). That is so neat that you shared it with the blogging world. Love your sweet apron your Mom lovingly made for you. How cool is that?
    AmyRuth

    BTW You will enjoy the Armagnac cake someday. Its is totally worth the calories.

    ReplyDelete