about bliss

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

twd: french yogurt marmalade cake



I love the music of Ralph Vaughn Williams, especially his variations on a theme; "Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis," and "Variations on Greensleeves" are among my favorites (though nothing will top "The Lark Ascending"--pure ethereal splendor). There's magic in playing with variations, riffing on a well-established theme and making it your own. This creative process also provides a nice web of interconnection between the original texts and the subtle variations--a way of honoring others who forged ahead of you.

If imitation is truly the sincerest form of flattery, then today's post is dedicated to Nancy, who inspired me with a thyme variation on Dorie's Riveria variation of the French Yogurt Marmalade cake chosen by Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction. What a web of creativity!

This loaf cake eschews butter in favor of oil--in this case, a flavorful olive oil. Add in lemon, yogurt, and herbs, and the cake walks the line between sweet and savory, proving versatile, adaptable, and all around delicious.

I glazed my cake with a simple lemon juice and confectioner's sugar mixture, and delighted in the graceful drips along the sides.



When the glaze was just set, I cut into the first slice--the coveted end piece--and reveled in a crunchy brown crust and moist inner crumb. The thyme and lemon scent was subtle the first night, but the second day the flavors asserted themselves in proper balance. Now, I'm trying to save the rest of the cake for a little work gathering tomorrow morning--one of my colleagues is bringing in treats to celebrate in advance the Persian New Year (which brilliantly coincides with the Vernal Equinox, oh blessed of days).



I will definitely bake this cake again and play around with sweet and savory scents, finding endless variations on a classic cake.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great.

    Was it sweet or savory with the thyme in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I love the look with the glaze on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I AM honored that you'd dedicate your yogurt cake post to me! Now if I could only have some of the actual cake, all would be perfect!! I love the glaze and the way you artfully draped that sprig of thyme on top. You're so right; this recipe was just made for umpteen variations.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake is beautiful, especially love the glaze! I can't wait to try the savory variation. This is such a versatile recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Nancy has inspired me to use savory flavors in desserts as well... I just haven't had the chance yet! Your cake looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Your cake looks wonderful with the glaze. Next time I'm making the Riviera version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a good cake, wasn't it. Glad someone tried a savory version. It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely impressed by those that tried the savory version. It looks delicious. I put my cake in the freezer, so I don't know what it tasted like on day 2. Guess I need to cut a hunk off and find out. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake must have tasted delicious with the lemon glaze. I have to make it using thyme.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want to make this savory version next time! I made it straight up according to the recipe, and it was so very wonderful, but I can't wait to play around with it. Your cake looks fabulous. What a great recipe this is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake looks delicious! I wish I had made a lemon glaze. Next time. I really liked this recipe, so there will definitely be a next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:49 AM

    oooh thyme! what a great idea. i used dried rosemary...booo--couldn't taste it in the final product.

    i love how you made the glaze with the confectioner's sugar...it looks delicious dripping down the sides like that.

    ReplyDelete