about bliss

Saturday, March 21, 2009

daily bliss: road trip sandwiches



My Mom makes the best road trip sandwiches--creations of roasted peppers, avocado, cheese, black pepper stacked on good bread and wrapped in wax paper. At a certain point on the road, we unwrap these sandwiches and settle in for a little break from plugging our wheel to the white line (with apologies to Kerouac).

In preparation for my trip to Michigan tomorrow morning, I made a road trip sandwich, following my Mom's "recipe" (although the bread is only so-so), pictured above wrapped in a natural wax paper pocket.

And, for dinner tonight, I made a panini with the same bread, roasted pepper, cheese, and black pepper. The cheese spilled over the edges and bubbled and crackled into a delicious molten mass. I cracked open one of my mini bottles of Big House Pink, dipped a few Frontera lime scented corn chips in the leftover avocado spread, and tucked in for a light Spring meal.

2 comments:

  1. Dharmagirl, I've missed your daily bliss posts in my Lenten abstinence. Maybe that's where the title of my brownie post came from?! I plan to try your cocoa-based brownies soon also.

    Mmm, your sandwiches look and sound good. I love love LOVE black pepper; great idea to add it to the toasted cheese sandwich.

    Have safe travels and a good trip.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Ooh...I love that last picture because those melty bits of cheese that spill on to the pan and get burned a bit are soooooo delicious.

    I hope you have a great time with your family. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete